#CCA18 is one week away, and we are excited to see you in Charlotte!
Below are some conference updates to help you prepare for the trip and CCA.
Papers, GIFTS, and Panels
This year we have over 25 different sessions featuring aver 100 presenters from across the region. Accelerate your learning with us by checking out the conference-at-a-glance here: https://carolinascommunication.org/conference/conference-schedule/
Keynote Speaker & Reception
Join us Friday afternoon as we gather all conference attendees for a discussion with John Roberts, NASCAR announcer. John’s keynote presentation will be followed by a reception (including a cash-only bar option) in the Sykes Rotunda on the Queens campus. After the reception, we hope you’ll make dinner plans with some of your fellow conference-goers at one of Charlotte’s many wonderful eateries.
When you arrive on the Queens University of Charlotte campus, please park in the designated garage (North Parking Deck, labeled “D” on the campus map). The entrance to the parking deck drive is on Wellesley, between Selwyn and Stanford. North Deck is the second parking deck on this road. The gates will open for complimentary CCA parking at 7:00 am on Friday and CCA visitors are asked to proceed to the upper section of the deck. The deck is equipped with elevators. To map your way to the parking deck, use the address for the Levine Center Queens Gym – 2319 Wellesley Ave, Charlotte, NC 28207. Please note: Parking at the conference hotel Is also complimentary for CCA attendees, and feel free to carpool between the hotel and campus.
Finding your Way on Campus
The conference will be held in the Sykes building on the campus of Queens University of Charlotte. Conference registration and hospitality is located on the 3rd floor of Sykes, which is accessible by multiple stairwells in the building as well as the elevator. When you arrive on campus, please proceed to the Sykes building. A campus map is available here: http://www.queens.edu/about/visit/campus-map-queens-university-charlotte.pdf . Sykes is #24 on the map, near the corner of Selwyn and Wellesley.
While all conference events will be held in the Sykes building, attendees are welcome to explore other locations on campus. Some of interest may include:
- The James L. Knight School of Communication, our hosts for the conference (Offices and newly renovated multi-purpose classroom spaces located on the 3rd floor of Knight-Crane Hall. #20 on the map, adjacent to Sykes on Selwyn)
- Knight-Crane Hall (#20 on the map, adjacent to Sykes). This newly renovated hall features a unique student success center on the ground level, a nursing skills lab on floor 2, and the Knight School of Communication on the upper floor.
- Burwell Administration Building (#13 on the map) is the oldest building on campus and includes historic items related to Queens’ history.
- Vibrant Public Art – the Diana Fountain (Anna Hyatt Huntington) and Triple Arc (James Rosati) are two of the most famous pieces among Queens’s large outdoor public art collection
- Dining options on campus include the Morrison Dining Hall, the library coffeehouse, the Lion’s Den grill, and Bruegger’sBagels in the Levine Center. We’ll be happy to direct you to these spots for a bite to eat or let you know about the many options close to campus.
If you have any questions in advance of your arrival, please contact Catherin Mahlin, our #CCA18 member services lead, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are excited to see you in Charlotte next weekend!
2018 CCA Vice-Chair and Conference Planner
Associate Professor of Communication Studies