Assistant Professor of Communication – University of South Carolina Aiken
The Department of Communication at the University of South Carolina Aiken (USC Aiken) invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor to start August 16, 2019.
We seek an individual with
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching undergraduate communication courses.
- Ability to teach, create, and/or redesign classes in small group communication and/or organizational communication.
- Interest in small group and/or organizational communication theory and research.
- Ability, as needed, to support general education courses in public speaking and/or interpersonal communication.
- Ability, as needed, to support core communication courses for the major, as well as, our minor in Leadership Communication.
- Experience in service-learning, community-based learning or other high impact pedagogies.
- Commitment to personal and professional growth of students, including communication competence, written and oral skills, and problem solving abilities.
- Ability to provide conscientious academic advisement, work well with colleagues and community members, engage in scholarly activity, and provide service to the university, community and/or profession.
- Experience in teaching or research related to the department’s new program focus on Communication and Digital Arts is of interest.
Ph.D. required by time of appointment. Preference given to candidates with communication degrees.
The Department of Communication offers the B.A. degree along with two minors. We serve approximately 150 majors. Our curriculum includes eight core courses and a required capstone internship experience, and is designed to challenge students to understand, integrate and apply theories and principles from both speech and mass communication areas. We emphasize critical thinking and problem solving skills.
The University of South Carolina Aiken, a public comprehensive university in the University of South Carolina system, located just 20 minutes from Augusta, GA, offers undergraduate and master’s degrees to more than 3,500 students in 50 programs of study. USC Aiken is ranked the #1 public regional college in the South by U.S. News & World Report’s guide “America’s Best Colleges.” The 2019 distinction marks USC Aiken’s 21st consecutive ranking among the top three in this category and its 14th time in first place. USC Aiken pumps $281 million into the local economy every year, and was listed among the 2016 Great Colleges to Work For. We boast students from 35 states and 32 countries. USC Aiken has eleven NCAA Division II Athletic programs. The City of Aiken is best noted as a cultural and horse community. Visit:www.usca.edu.
Apply on-line at https://uscjobs.sc.edu/postings/48340 and submit via the job portal a cover letter, a current curriculum vitae, unofficial transcripts, full contact information for at least three references, and evidence of effective teaching (statement of teaching philosophy, peer observation, student evaluations, syllabi, etc.). Please direct questions to Ms. Elizabeth Webb, search chair, Department of Communication, USCA, 471 University Parkway, Aiken, SC 29801, email@example.com. Additional documentation will be solicited as needed. Review of applications will begin February 1 and continue until the position is filled.
The University of South Carolina is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply. The University of South Carolina does not discriminate in educational or employment opportunities or decision for qualified persons on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender or protected veteran status.